1.13.2010

All About Bikram Too

I read Suzanne's last post about bikram and rather than comment, decided to write my own blog because bikram yoga is that awesome.  I'd done yoga before, but I guess I never had a great teacher because I couldn't get excited about it.  Enter bikram, where you go through 26 poses (twice) over 90 minutes in 105 degree heat with 40% humidity.  I have never experienced anything so physically, mentally, and emotionally challenging. You have to have stamina, strength, balance, and flexibility, but you can't do the physical without deep concentration and meditation.  At times you feel dizzy, nauseous, and weirdly vulnerable, but you can only tell yourself to breathe and keep going. My mind is rarely quiet, but bikram gave me the chance to just be in the moment.

The heat is beneficial because it helps warm the muscles, work deeper, and release toxins through all the sweating. Say what you want about toxins in the body, but I've had a sinus infection for the last 2 weeks. The day after my first bikram class was the first time that I've actually felt better.  I also felt very alert and had a lot of energy. In short, I felt amazing. And in 3 days I've lost 2.5 pounds. I know its just water weight, but it hasn't come back yet, so dammit, I'll take it. 

I am addicted!

1 comment:

  1. After that picture Suzanne posted, I'm pretty sure why I know you felt weirdly vulnerable. So far my favorite thing about Bikram yoga is your huge mat.

    ReplyDelete