1.26.2010

I'LL TAKE THE PHYSICAL CHALLENGE


This week marks the start of me living my every day life like I am a contestant on Double Dare, except I will never opt to answer the trivia question because I will be embarking each day on a physical challenge.

At the end of last year, after being inspired by roommate Amy and good friend Ashley, I decided I wanted to start training for a marathon. This aspiration came to an end during a nine mile run at 7:30 in the morning when my body was so numb, due to the 19 degree temperature outside, that it collapsed on the side of a major road. Basically I tripped, but was so damn exhausted and cold that rather than trying to regain control I just took the pavement to the face. What can I say? It seemed so much easier than tryin to catch myself. I only hope that my bleeding hips and severe embarrassment scored a few people a solid, "you'll never believe what I saw on my way to work," story.

The longest race I had run before starting this training was a 10K, yeah...you're right...a marathon was aggressive. This being said, I took a short break from running and discovered bikram yoga in the meantime, and as I have previous stated, I am now addicted to the practice. While the 90 minute work out sessions in the HOT room have made me feel amazing, I still can't move past the commitment I made to myself to run a more intense race this year. It is this very reason that I have decided to run a half marathon instead in April (probably a little more realistic). However, I can't give up on my new found love for Bikram, so this week I started my training for the half marathon with high hopes and big dreams of maintaining a minimum of two or three bikram sessions a week.

Now for some of you reading this, you are probably thinking that this sounds easy to accomplish. While I love the feeling of working out, I will opt for a nap any day and any hour of the week over dragging my ass miles down the road in the cold or sweating uncontrollably in a sauna-like room.

I plan on tracking my progress here on the blog. So get ready for all the complaining, hating my life, and most likely let down when my body doesn't transform into looking like Jennifer Aniston's or Megan Fox's. Oh and one rule for those four of you that actually read this thing, you're not allowed to judge me if and when I miss a run or two or am just too damn dehydrated to step into the HOT room.

Cheers and god speed.

1 comment: