1.13.2010

Bikram Baby


Every holiday season the three girls and boy (plus spouses these days) draw names for Christmas presents, a budget is set, and the shopping begins. This year a new twist was added to the name drawing when our blessed mother made the rule that all gifts had to be something that bettered our lives in the long run, something for our mind, body, or soul. Marie and I opted for asking for the same gift. We wanted to try our hand at Bikram yoga and requested some free sessions at one of the near by studios.

We took the plunge this week and entered the 102 degree studio for the first time. Prior to going I met Marie at her apartment. As I sat while she gathered her things, our conversation went a little something like this:

Marie: I hope it goes by quickly

Suzanne: It makes me nervous it's an hour and a half

Marie: Look at my huge mat

Suzanne: At least it's yoga. We will get to lay down some.

Brian: I hope you don't pass out

Needless to say, we weren't the most enthusiastic pair.

Fast forward to two hours later..... Marie and I exit the studio able to ring the sweat out of our clothes and feeling pounds lighter. We traded thoughts on the class and found ourselves making plans to go back the next night. We are getting ready to embark on our third class of the week. I think I am addicted. While the half naked yoga goddesses, hot temperature, and the 1.5 hour time frame are all intimidating factors, I figure I'll do just about anything to look like Jennifer Aniston (a Bikram yoga enthusiast).

Don't let the picture at the top frighten you. People do dress in the minimum to come to class, but I have seen nothing like that before (not what I would refer to as a yoga goddess). I recommend going to a bikram class to everyone. It's a nice break from the treadmill or any other normal work out routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment